Tucker Hockey Ern Rideout Memorial Award –
On Ice Instructor Apprenticeship Award
2018 Award Recipient:
This award is in memory of Ern Rideout. Ern was the first Tucker Hockey on ice assistant instructor. He began in 1999 to assist Coach Rex with his on ice programs. Ern was a major contributor to the early success and growth of Tucker Hockey on and off the ice. He will be remembered for his strong character, integrity, loyalty, dedication and amicable personal traits.
This Tucker Hockey Award will be given out each year to the on ice instructor apprentice who exhibits improved personal growth and development and a strong potential to be a quality on ice instructor within the Tucker Hockey team.
2018 Award Recipient: Kevin Sorochak
Here is a little more information about Kevin:
- Tell us a little about yourself. My name is Kevin Sorochak. I am 43 years old. I am a Journeyman Refrigeration Technician and have been for 15 years. I am married to my wife of 16 years Tara and have two boys, Kyler who is 9 and Rylan who is 5, we also have a dog Hayley and a cat Ella. I have been skating and/or playing hockey for as long as I can remember and up to even now as I play on a team called the Slashers who are in the SASM. I have been really involved in Kyler’s hockey to date so far and am in the process of getting Rylan on his way too. I have been involved with Tucker Hockey for two seasons now and really enjoy helping out, etc… whenever my home life schedule allows me to do so and I appreciate the flexibility that Rex allows me, very much appreciated.
- Tell us a little about your interest in the sport of hockey. Like to play and it’s fun to play when you know what you are doing, etc… can skate, etc… Also, like the camaraderie and the friendships made along the way, season after season, etc… AND look how things turned out here!
- What’s the best part about hockey for you? To push and test yourself, try new and different skills and things and always believe in What you put into it is what you get out!
- When and how did you initially get involved with Tucker Hockey? Rex was my Coach some 25/30 years ago in NEAA, around Bantam/Pee Wee/Midget. My own son was enrolled in the Tucker Program for the second season/time two years ago and I ran into Rex in the concourse of Southland Leisure, did not realize Rex Tucker is Tucker hockey. Rex put two and two together and the rest is history.
- What is the most enjoyable part of coaching/teaching players? Seeing the kids progress however big or small and everything in between AND continue in wanting to play the great game of hockey.
- What, if anything, has instructing with Tucker Hockey taught you? Everything is done for a reason AND to always make sure that your shirt is tucked in! 😉
- What other things interest you, outside hockey? Football (Stampeders), more hockey (Hitmen – WHL), my son Kyler’s hockey (future demonstrator and/or Tucker Instructor) and lacrosse (Roughnecks). I also assist with the Atom 7 Team in Chestermere with Coaching.
- What are your future goals or aspirations? To keep helping out and/or assisting with/in Tucker, doing whatever I can, whenever I can, etc… AND to hopefully Kyler getting involved down the road such as myself. With Tucker he has become even a better skater and more well-rounded player. He can do the drills, stations, etc… better than me. Shhhhhhh…… ….LOL….
Thank you for sharing a little bit about yourself Kevin and for all that you do for Tucker Hockey.
Keep your eye out for Kevin at your next Tucker Hockey program!