All training regardless of the sport requires the right mental techniques.
Below are some basic methods to enhance your results while doing your physical activity.
- Develop a good workout rhythm – maintain your workout at a consistent level throughout – from start to finish including warm up and cool down.
- Visualize the end result – project positive energy, and imagine yourself at peak performance.
- Incorporate conscious breathing into your workouts – optimize your breathing patterns. Your body needs oxygen to perform at an optimal level and to also speed up the recovery phase of your workouts.
- Use positive cue words to enhance your training – words such as breathe, relax, and focus. They will make you more confident and energize your workouts.
- Don’t give up – keep your eyes on the prize.
Here are some ways to maximize your workout and post-workout recovery.
- Try to maintain a regular sleep schedule – get enough sleep – minimum 8 hours per night.
- The purpose of the bedroom is for sleep – avoid sleeping distractions such as computers, and TV.
- Having trouble sleeping? Sleep in a dark and cool room. Also include foods with melatonin – oatmeal, sweet corn, rice, tomatoes, apples, oranges, and almonds. Why? Produced by the brain, melatonin is a hormone that works with your body’s sleep-wake cycle. Concentrations of this hormone increase in your body as night approaches because darkness stimulates the release of this chemical, causing you to become sleepy. Eating foods containing melatonin is a natural way to help increase the amount of this hormone in your body. Melatonin also is said to help with jet lag and slowing the aging process.
Incorporating these pointers into your workout schedule will allow for a more productive training regimen. It will help you optimize your efforts and assist in achieving your goals. Bring it on! I am better prepared now!